America Recycles Day
Keep Troup Beautiful reminds you that November 15th is America Recycles Day. It is the perfect time to start a recycling program at your church, civic club, business or home. The LaGrange Recycling Center (Joe Adams/Manager (706) 883-7547) accepts cardboard, newspaper, magazines, scrap paper, plastic bottles, tin cans, computer paper, aluminum cans and telephone books.
Keep Troup Beautiful encourages you to consider the 5R’s:
- REDUCE the amount of waste we produce. Over 30% of all household waste comes from packaging and $1 out of every $10 we spend on groceries is actually for the packaging, NOT the product.
- REUSE products as much as possible. Avoid disposable products whenever possible.
- RECYCLE everything that is recyclable! In order to make recycling really work, consumers should buy products with post-consumer recycled content.
- REJECT products with packaging that is excessive or not recyclable. Don’t purchase products that are harmful to the environment. Purchases act as VOTES for or against products.
- REACT by talking to store managers and writing letters to manufacturers and legislators. Call the 800 numbers listed on product labels and voice your opinion. It works!
Did you know?
- Paper products make up the largest part (approximately 40 percent) of our trash.
- Americans use more than 67 million tons of paper per year, or about 580 pounds per person.
- Every day American businesses generate enough paper to circle the earth 20 times!
- Plastics can take up to 400 years to break down in a landfill.
- Each year, Americans throw away 25 trillion Styrofoam cups.
- Recycled materials can return to the marketplace in as little as 30 days.
- For more interesting facts, call Keep Troup Beautiful at 706.884.9922.
It’s everyone’s responsibility to keep Troup County clean.
For more information:
America Recycles Day in Georgia – Visit the Georgia Recycling Coalition, the organizer for our state’s events.
America Recycles Day National home page, where you can enter your pledge and learn more about the national prizes.
The Georgia Department of Community Affairs is a sponsor of America Recycles Day in Georgia. If you would like to sponsor an event in your community, donate a state prize or serve as a state sponsor, please contact Gloria Hardegree at email@example.com.
For more information on recycling in Georgia, please contact Jay Donnaway, the state recycling coordinator at (404) 679-3161 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.